Annual Benefit Statements
The production of the Annual Benefit Statements is a significant event in the JSS calendar. We produce over 7000 statements for our RCPS members each year.
Statements are normally produced between July and August.
Select the relevant question below for more information.
The Annual Benefit Statement provides an estimate of your benefits up until the statement date (31 March), it is produced using information provided by your employer.
The benefits on your Statement are calculated using your pensionable earnings as at the statement date.
Your Statement includes an estimate of your current benefits and can be used to determine if your pension is on track to deliver the retirement you want.
Your Statement is sent directly to you via your work email address, this is our default method.
In exceptional circumstances, where we do not have a valid work email address we will send a hard copy by post to your home address.
This year's statements (2018/19) will be produced in PDF format, in previous years they have been produced in Microsoft Word format.
You will receive a Statement if you are:
- An Active Member on 31 March 2019
- A Partial Retiree (if you have a pension in payment and are also contributing to the scheme).
Please note that in order for us to provide you with an Annual Benefit Statement, your employer must have provided us with your reckonable service and salary history (or pensionable earnings for members of Nuvos) for the scheme year.
Your Benefit statement will be password protected with the numerical element of your National Insurance (NI) number. For example, if your NI number is AB123456C, then your password will be 123456: do not include the letters.
The issue of the Annual Benefit Statements is an opportunity for you to check that the personal details we hold for you are correct. If you notice anything wrong please email email@example.com as soon as possible so that these can be updated.
You should check your statement and then keep it in a safe place as JSS will not provide you with a copy statement.
If you have not received your Statement this could be due to a number of reasons:
- Your Statement may not have been produced yet. Statements are produced during July and August each year.
- Your Statement may be delayed whilst JSS checks with your employer to validate the information contained within your pension record.
- Your Statement may have been sent to a previous email address, this could be due to you moving to a new location/council/employer and not updating your details directly with JSS
- You were not a member of the pension scheme on the statement date (31 March) or started employment after this date.
- If you are concerned about not receiving your Statement, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Not all of your pay counts towards your RCPS Pension. Pensionable earnings are usually your basic annual salary (FTE) and any pensionable allowances.
To find out which types of pay are pensionable, contact your employer.
Please bear in mind that depending on the scheme you are in, your benefits may be based on pay, service and/or earnings. Your Statement will say what your pension is based on.
Your Statement contains details about you and your pension, including:
- Your Personal Details
- Your current salary (including any pensionable earnings)
- Your benefits at a glance including what you've built up so far and the pensionable earnings we use to calculate your benefits
- Your scheme membership; e.g. Nuvos, Premium, Classic or Classic Plus
- Details of your current Death Benefit Nomination (DBN). If you do not have a Death Benefit Nomination or would like to change an existing one, please read the information on the death benefit page, then download the relevant form and send it to us
If you have a query with regard to your personal details or the information in your Statement please email JSS using email@example.com.
In some cases the Annual Benefit Statement will include a Pension Saving Statement, this is for those members that have exceeded the Annual Allowance or have requested a statement. More information on Annual Allowance can be found on the Pensions and Tax section of the JSS Website.
Details of your State Pension benefits are not shown on your Annual Benefit Statement. This is because the Department for Work & Pensions (DWP) do not provide us with the details. You can, however, obtain a State Pension forecast on the Check your State Pension - external link - page.
Additional Reckonable Service or Benefits may be included on your Statement, this includes:
- Added Pension from either regular contributions or lump sum payments
- Transferred in pension
- Casual Service Credit
- Aggregated Service Credit, for example from a prior RCPS Nuvos membership
- Nuvos Aggregated Pension Credit, for example from a prior RCPS Nuvos membership
- Linked service credit, for example former RCPS final salary membership inked with later RCPS Nuvos membership
Over previous years some members have had problems viewing MS Word documents. To reduce these issues, JSS are now producing Statements in PDF format.
The Microsoft Office Word Viewer is also no longer available for download and will not be receiving security updates, for information on this see the Microsoft Office - external link - support page.
For further information regarding viewing different file formats see the accessibility page on the JSS Website.
PDF stands for Portable Document Format.
PDF files are compatible across multiple platforms, these types of documents are independent of the hardware, operating system and application software used to create the original PDF. It is designed to create transferable documents that can be shared across multiple computer platforms.
If you are unable to open a pdf document, a free PDF reader can be dowloaded from the Adobe - external link - website.
Each month your employer deducts pension contributions from your pay, these deductions can be viewed on your payslip.
Pension contributions are used to cover the cost of the scheme and do not equate to how much pension you have accrued. The amount you contribute to your pension is based on the 'pay band' your earnings fall into each pay period. Please remember that these contribution rates are subject to change.
The employee contribution rates can be found on the Pension Contributions page of the JSS Website.
Deferred Service is shown in your statement if:
- You are a current Classic Scheme member with earlier Classic deferred service that is eligible for aggregation with your current membership. An estimate of aggregated benefits will be shown within your Statement. If earlier RCPS membership ceased due to redundancy, then the aggregation option is not available. The option to aggregate is available when you next leave or reach age 60, whichever is sooner.
- You are currently in Premium, Classic Plus or Nuvos, any aggregated or linked membership will be incorporated within your Statement. Aggregation applies to the joining up of same scheme benefits, for example, Nuvos to Nuvos or Premium to Premium. Linking applies to the Nuvos scheme whereby earlier final salary benefits have been linked up to later Nuvos membership. If earlier RCPS membership ceased due to redundancy, then the aggregation or linking option is not available. If you have earlier deferred membership that is not aggregated or linked, a Pension Increase letter is issued every April to advise up to date deferred pension values.
Statements provide the details of your active service only. Reckonable service and pension is calculated from the day after you take partial retirement.
© JSS 2019
Last updated: 8 May 2019